2015 has flown by! So much has happened this past year and I really feel good about everything, I feel like I’m not leaving any lose ends and I’m going into this next year without any stress or anxiety. I’m satisfied with where I’m at and I’m excited for a new adventure. This past year was full of a lot of unanswered questions, a lot of waiting, a lot of worrying about where we will be going and when, it took me all year to let go of all of that. I’m a planner and an organizer so being able to relax and go with the flow has been a major struggle for me but has been a great lesson in patience. I can’t say that I’ve stopped looking forward entirely but I’ve gotten to a point where I’m no longer fixating on it and I’m just having a good time where I’m at right now.
I started some of my New Years Resolutions in December so I could get into them and figure out timing/scheduling now and then go into 2016 without any excuses not to do them. Resolutions for me are not some outrageous goal that sets you up to fail and ultimately kicks off your year with regret, they are small goals to help you better yourself. I’ll give you a little run down of what I chose this year and why.
- Exercise regularly. I’m a pretty active person already so this just meant that I scheduled time for myself every week to workout and didn’t only go when it was convenient. I made it a priority. I feel better both physically and mentally when I’m active so this really is just for me, to care for myself and work off any stress. Those yummy endorphins don’t hurt either. This is one I started in December so I could figure out what schedule works best for me. I’m going to the gym and take barre classes 3 days a week and running on weekends. If I feel like adding an extra day I do that but my goal is something easy that fits in with the rest of my life.
- Read a new book every month. I did this last year and LOVED it. While I ended up not reading a new book in November or December I did accomplish it the rest of the year. Whenever I had down time I would pick up a book instead of scrolling through Facebook watching cat videos and Ellen clips, it felt really good.
- Practice better dental hygiene. This was another from last year that is so important to me and I really got in the habit of flossing and brushing twice daily. This year I want to step it up and add oil pulling in the morning. If you don’t know what that is it’s basically where you take a tablespoon or two of organic, virgin coconut oil and swish it around your mouth for 15-20 minutes and spit it out (in the trash). It’s got amazing benefits for your teeth and mouth alike.
- Drink more water. This one seems super easy but makes a big difference in my overall health. I got myself a super cute glass water bottle to make it easy to have water with me all the time. I feel better when I’m well hydrated and I get sick less often, which is inevitable this time of year with a toddler *sigh*.
- Have consistent date nights. It seems like the longer we are together the less often we schedule actual dates. Sure, we do little things at home like rent a movie and open a bottle of wine but now that our son is older we can actually get out for a few hours. It’s not like we don’t spend time together but my goal this year is to make is a weekly thing and not just a now and then. It’s not about spending money to go out to dinner or to a show/movie but its about making “us time” a priority and not letting it take a backseat.
What are your New Years resolutions!?